Thursday, September 3, 2009

Conquering My Kitchen

Well, better late than never! I'd originally set a goal of re-organizing my kitchen cupboards and emptying the "final box" by the end of August. Unfortunately other life priorities got in the way - but I did manage to complete the task yesterday (only 2 days behind schedule!). I've now identified "time management" as an area I can improve and have made a list of books to read on the topic! More on that in a later post...now back to our regularly scheduled programming: the kitchen.

To start, I pulled everything out of the problem cabinets and the box. I strongly believe in the organizing philosophy that you have to see everything before you can start making decisions about eliminating items or assigning a space. As you can see, I made quite a mess! Every surface was covered, but it was very helpful.

I then made groups of "like with like" and found that I had a several lids that didn't go with anything and some duplicate dishes, which are now in the garage sale and/or donation box.

The next step: install small hooks near my baking center to hang flour sifters (which look cool as accessories). I then pulled out my nice glass canisters to display on a shelf - they look great with their matching labels and "decorative" contents (almonds, chocolate chips, raisins). And this freed up much-needed space in the cupboards.

Next, I chose a spot for our leftover container system. About a year ago we purchased a system where every size container uses the same lid - talk about a time and sanity saver! I highly recommend something like this. I used UHU tac to secure it to the shelf, which is temporary but holds really well.

Then I started putting things away, beginning with items we rarely use like serving bowls and trays. I located these in the cupboard above the refrigerator since it takes a stool or chair to reach them. I grouped all of my baking supplies together, using a plate shelf to create more space since many of these items are not very tall.

Our appliances are grouped together on half-moon shelves my husband installed (similar to this), making use of a deep corner cupboard near the stove. And finally, I put away all of the Corningware (hasn't had a home since we moved in, unless you count the box!), baking pans, etc. in a cupboard easily accessible from the baking center and stove, stashing the unwieldy cookie sheets in the drawer below the oven.

TA-DA! In less than three hours I have a more usable kitchen and everything has a home. I'm happy with the results, but expect to tweak and improve as time goes along.

Do you have any tips on organizing a kitchen? Found any cool products for making more space?

No comments:

Post a Comment