Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spicy Kitchen Update

I hate to admit that I haven't had much time to devote to my kitchen organizing project. I am currently taking an interior design class at PCC and our end-of-term project is due tomorrow, so all of my energy has been focused on that for now.

That said, I did have a minor epiphany -- I'm going to add some shelves to the only empty wall and move my canisters there. Thankfully I already have fairly decorative canisters to hold flour, sugar, etc. and I think they'll look nice on the shelf. And that frees up much-needed space in my cupboards for snack foods (that currently reside haphazardly on top of the fridge and make me frown each time I see them!) and my "Tupperware" and reusable containers.

Also wanted to show off this great shelving item for organizing our spices that makes use of a shelf I can't usually reach. We put this in a few months ago and it's been a great space saver. I just pull down when I need access; push back up when I'm finished.

Note that we've decided to keep our spices, for the most part, in their original containers. While there are nice looking spice systems out there with matching jars, I've found them to be a pain because they usually hold less and then you have to store all of the back-up spice containers somewhere as well. How is that helpful?! Just because something looks organized, doesn't mean it's a good system that you can maintain. Always keep that in mind when buying gadgets that promise the world!

Thanks for reading,
-amy

3 comments:

  1. where'd you find such a cool item? i definitely need one for my kitchen! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we got it at Lowe's in the kitchen organizing area (near appliances). Which, btw, they also have great little sponge holders you can stick to the wall with a suction cup, to keep it out of the way and help it dry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's made my Rubbermaid:
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100110#

    ReplyDelete