Friday, August 14, 2009

Closet Mini-Make-Over

Earlier this week, WSJ online did a short article on Veronica Webb's organized closet. I was in awe! Not only at the organization, but the sheer amount of clothing and shoes she has. The life of a model! At least she's making me look better :)

And how's this for coincidental timing? Just last week I did a mini-make-over on my own closet (shared with the hubby) and finally removed all of the sweaters so it's not so crowded. The sweaters will make a reappearance come Fall; and the shorts will then go into storage (a large, clear bin that lives in the basement laundry room). My main goal was to group things together better -- by style and how often worn. It's so much easier to find things now, and I only spent 2 hours!

I'm pretty happy with it, but am looking for better solutions for belts and pants. Think I may have to break down and purchase some nice pants hangers rather than trying to make do with what I already have. Any suggestions for good belt systems? I hate having to take them all off to get at the one farthest in...

Another goal was to remove all the wire hangers from the closet, which I've successfully done, but am now stuck with a rather large pile of them. Apparently hangers are not welcome in the trash or recycling in my town (they wreak havoc on the sorting machines), so I've been trying to find other options. Three ideas I've come across so far:
- return them to your dry cleaners for reuse or proper recycling
- take them to a metal recycling center (and they'll pay you!)
- use them in craft projects

Have a closet you're afraid to tackle on your own? Try doing it in parts, rather than overwhelming yourself in the first try. For example, just sort through all of your dress clothes one evening. And keep reminding yourself that not only are you making more room and making things easier to find, but you can sell or donate anything you get rid of to help your bottom line!

Happy organizing,
-amy

4 comments:

  1. Ok. I try to keep the closet clean and organized but its difficult. I have a shelf that I keep all my bags, purses, and sweaters. As a result, its a huge pile that this shorty has trouble reaching. Any tips on orgnizing it so I can reach it all without getting a chair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a basket for all of my purses, which I can pull down from the shelf when needed. That seems to contain them rather well. Just make sure you pick a basket you can lift when full!
    As for sweaters, you can try a sweater organizer/shelf system that hangs from the bar in the closet. Or, I recently purchased from IKEA an organizer they claim is for stuffed animals, but holds clothing quite nicely. I'll see if I can find a picture of it to post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the kids' organizer online, which I'm currently using to sort hats, gloves, and scarves in the hall closet. My sister uses this for socks and underwear. Could easily be used for sweaters, as long as they don't need to be kept folded.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115578

    ReplyDelete