Friday, October 2, 2009

Cluttered bedroom = cluttered mind

Most everyone has too much "stuff." It's amazing how quickly stuff accumulates in our modern society -- gadgets, packaging, free trinkets, papers, that random cap that went to something you can't find... -- and they take up precious space in our homes and lives.

You'll be amazed at how much better you feel if you clear up the clutter! And the first place to start is your bedroom. I've read several books on feng shui and clutter, and they say that waking up in a place that's messy is not good for your psyche. And that makes sense to me. If you wake up and the first thing you see is a mess of things to do and unfinished projects, and/or you can't find things to wear, it puts you in a bad head space for the rest of the day. You may feel defeated before you even get out of bed!

So, my challenge for you in October is to have a "Fall Clean-Up" in your bedroom. Start small. Mine is in pretty good shape, but there is a bookshelf in the corner that seems to be a "catch all" for random items and my jewelry is taking over the dresser. Time to whip it into shape!












My guiding rule for assessing "stuff" - - ask yourself these questions:
  1. Do I love it?
  2. Do I need it?
  3. Does it (or can it) make me money?
If it doesn't fit into one of these categories, get rid of it by donating to charity, recycling, or putting in the trash. You'll feel better. Trust me!

Happy Autumn,
-amy

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you about a cluttered bedroom. It's the one room in our place that I actively clean every day. Whenever I am feeling stressed, I clean out my closet. BTW-thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete