Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Keeping it together in the kitchen

So I think we all know of the "chip clips" you can buy at kitchen stores, to help keep already-opened bags of chips, crackers, flour, etc. from going stale. They are overpriced in my opinion and most of the time don't do the job. They're either not tight enough to keep the bag closed all the way, or they break.

Instead of using chip clips, my hubsand and I have started using "binder clips" you can find at office supply stores. Not only are they cheaper, they're usually made of metal and stand up longer to use in the kitchen (or office, for that matter). I like having multi-purpose gadgets as that means I need fewer of them!

In a quick online search, it's $2.99 for a 6-pack of Large binder clips or a 12-pack of Medium binder clips (at Staples) vs. $6.99 for a set of 10 assorted plastic chip clips (at Bed, Bath, and Beyond). In other words, I can get 18 binder clips for the price of 10 chip clips, and I can use the binder clips for more things, including their actual purpose of holding papers together!

And speaking of, I also use binder clips to hold my coupons together, organized in date order of when they expire, soonest on top. You can even super glue a magnet to the back of the binder clip, if you like the idea of mounting to the refrigerator (which is what some chip clips have, but the magnets are never strong enough).

While there are some really cool kitchen gadgets out there, always think through other options before splurging. There are often other ways you can accomplish the same task without having to purchase yet another gadget that you then have to find a home for in your home. Less stuff = less clutter!

Happy clipping,
-amy

No comments:

Post a Comment