Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Place for Everything...

And everything in its place! That is one of my favorite organizing-related cliches. It has a nice ring to it, and serves as a great reminder every time I set something down where it doesn't belong. (Apparently the voices in my head are also obsessed with organizing!)

But we all have those things that don't have "a place" -- look around at your clutter and you will find that this is the majority of the problem. A magazine someone gave you to read, the cap to a pen you can't find, a screw you found while vacuuming...and the list goes on.

What do you do with this random stuff? This stuff is the inspiration of the "junk drawer" which can certainly serve it's purpose. But beyond that, I encourage you to look at your random clutter and group it by similar items. You may just find a new category and a new "place" you need to create to house these items.

For example, I am always admiring pictures in magazines for ideas. And then the magazine and/or ripped out pages would clutter my desk, the dining table, the kitchen counter, the coffee table... To remedy my paper explosion, I have set up a file folder on my desk labeled "Home Renovation Ideas." Every time I see something inspirational, I rip it out and put it in the folder. The magazine then gets recycled (or filed; I do have back issues of certain ones in date order on my bookshelves) and I can quickly and easily find the inspiration photo/article by opening my folder. And I have now set up additional folders for my design and organizing business, and for our rental houses. It's working great so far!

Do you have a fun or unique way you handle the random clutter in your house?

3 comments:

  1. So, how do I get my husband to remember that dirty dishes belong in the dishwasher (and if it is full, start it and then empty it) and remember that recycling belongs in the container (and if that is full, take it outside to the big bin) and not on the countertop? That alone would remedy so much clutter in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! If I knew that secret, I'd be rich! I have the same issue with my dear hubby, esp the recycling bit. Not sure why it can't go in the bin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have back issues of certain ones in date order on my bookshelves

    That is so me.

    ReplyDelete