Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Still alive and organizing...my pantry

It's been a long time since I've posted on here. Tisk tisk. My apologies (to you and to myself). I've been battling with some health issues (nothing to worry about!) and thus took a break from the computer and blogging for awhile...and then found it hard to get back in the groove. So here's to getting my groove back ;-)

My next organizing project -- now that I have some mobility and strength back in my right arm** -- is to tackle our pantry. It is a mess. I've determined that we don't have enough space and thus have asked my lovely hubby to bring in the second set of wire shelving (it sits out our covered patio for now, mostly collecting dust and random things). I'm excited to rearrange this entire space to make it more usable and more attractive. And I'm excited to tell you all about it once I'm done. Which should be this weekend -- wish me luck!

First step: sort everything on the current shelves (and floor) into "like with like" piles so I know what I'm dealing with
Second step: get rid of anything expired, stale, that we don't like, have too many of, etc. (I'll donate to a food bank anything that's still good but that I don't want anymore)
Third step: clean both sets of shelving thoroughly and warm up the label maker ;)
Fourth step: put things away in similar categories, with things I use most often easily accessible, adding labels where appropriate
Fifth step: CELEBRATE and take photos to share with y'all!
Final step: reassess in a few weeks and make adjustments if needed (this is the part most of us forget -- don't blame yourself if your system fails. That usually means it's the wrong system for you, not that you're doing anything wrong. Be willing to make changes to fit how you really use the space and stuff!)

The above process is a loose guideline to how you can approach most organizing projects...

Happy organizing,
-amy

**A short note about my random injury and subsequent medical fun: I woke up one morning in June with what has been called by my physical therapist as "quirky female hormonal shoulder." I'm still determining if she says that to the 5+ patients she gets each year with this, or if I was the "quirky" part of the name :) Apparently some hormones in my body sent a false signal to my right shoulder that there'd been a trama and my nerve became very inflammed and all the muscles literally locked down my shoulder!! OUCH. I am recovering now with the help of PT and hope to be back to normal within the next 6-9 months. The silver linings? (1) I've learned to do an amazing amount of tasks with my left arm, including eating and using the computer mouse (which is very good exercise for the brain), and (2) I've had lots of time to read and explore myself and what I want to do with my life. I've started a new blog on this journey of self-improvement if you want to check it out...

2 comments:

  1. Your pantry is a little bigger than ours but we're about to do the same thing. Just need to throw away a whole bunch of crap that we never use and shouldn't even be in there anyway (a camping stove for example springs to mind). Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling a little better too babe, I can sympathise as you know. Surgery for me soon, then 6 months till I'm back to full strength. Hugs. M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your cleaning/purging project! I was hoping to do it this weekend but alas hubby didn't get the shelving unit inside for me before he left - and I cannot wrangle it with one and a half arms ;-) So I'll tackle it next week when he's back!
    Ugh, so sorry about your surgery. Hope recovery goes well. It's amazing how long it can take.

    ReplyDelete